Skip to Content
Probation Violations

 Probation Violations

Call (888) 387-2036 for Skilled Defense

If you're convicted of a crime in Kansas, a judge may suspend a jail sentence and order a period of probation instead. While probation will give you more freedom than time in jail, you must adhere to very strict guidelines set forth by the court. If you violate these terms of your probation, you may be ordered to complete the original jail sentence, as well as face additional penalties for the violation.

Due to the serious consequences a probation violation can have, it's crucial to retain a skilled Overland Park criminal defense attorney right away. You'll find the tough, aggressive defense you need at Gigstad Law Office, LLC, where Attorney Robert Gigstad proudly stands for the rights of the criminally accused.

Trust our top-rated attorney to defend your rights and freedom. Call (888) 387-2036 for the aggressive representation you need.

Common Examples of Probation Violations

The terms of probation can vary widely based on a number of factors, including the severity of the crime committed and your criminal history. In many cases, the court will implement special conditions which are unique to your case. Due to the numerous conditions of many probation orders, it can be easy for people to unknowingly violate them. For minor probation violations, an Overland Park criminal defense lawyer can often successfully argue that you are trying to comply with the terms of your probation, resulting in a reinstatement of probation rather than jail time.

Some common examples of probation violations include:

  • Failing to comply with drug/alcohol screenings
  • Testing positive for drugs/alcohol
  • Committing another crime
  • Failing to complete court-ordered community service
  • Neglecting to check in with your probation officer
  • Leaving the state

What Happens After a Probation Violation?

Probation is best thought of as an opportunity to avoid jail time. If you successfully complete your probation, your sentence will be over and begin putting the matter behind you. If you violate your probation, however, the judge has the option to reactivate the initial jail sentence.

If you're charged with violating probation, a judge may:

  • Increase the length of your probation term
  • Modify the terms of your probation
  • Order counseling sessions
  • Order a short jail term, followed by more probation
  • Charge you fines or restitution payments
  • Revoke the probation, and send you back to jail

Trust Our Skilled Attorney to Defend Your Freedom

At Gigstad Law Office, LLC, our Overland Park criminal defense attorney is a top-rated trial lawyer with a strong record of satisfied clients. When you retain our firm, you can expect aggressive defense from an attorney who truly works with your best interest in mind. If you're on probation, a tiny slip-up can cost you your freedom – trust our firm to provide the tireless defense you need.

Accused of violating your probation? Call Gigstad Law Office, LLC today at (888) 387-2036.

  • What Our Clients Say
    Our clients share their stories about what happened and how we helped.
  • About Our Attorneys
    We're here to protect your legal rights and defend your future.
  • Our FAQ's
    You Are Probably Asking Yourself Some Questions


Client-Centered Legal Represntation
    "Friendly, Reliable, and Professional"
    Chris was great! I was involved in a car accident at a stop light and was given a ticket for following too close. The girl I hit even said it wasn't my fault, however I was still given a citation. I contacted Chris to help me get my ticket reduced to a non-moving violation after several people told me it couldn't be done since I was involved in an accident. I provided Chris with all the details of the accident and he said he would take care of it. After a few exchanged emails, Chris attended my court date and got the job done! For a small fee, my ticket was reduced to a non-moving violation. I would encourage anyone to use Chris' services because he was friendly, reliable, and professional.
    Happy Client
    "I Appreciate Robert's Efficiency and Patience"
    I really appreciate Robert's help with my case. I was ashamed, stressed and overwhelmed due to my intent to deprive charge. Robert made the process very easy and reminded me that everyone makes mistakes and no one is perfect. I never felt judged or as though he was telling me what I wanted to hear for money, he is sincere! I appreciate Robert's efficiency and patience, he always took time to explain everything in detail, e-mailed and/or called me back within the same business day. I never had to attend court until I signed my diversion paperwork. Needless to say I wouldn't hesitate to rehire Robert and you won't be disappointed for choosing Robert.
    "Robert Gigstad Is a Good down to Earth Attorney"
    Robert Gigstad is a good down to earth attorney. He helped my daughter with her case which included transporting and open container and a DUI. He was very reasonable on the cost too which we were extremely thankful.
    "I Was Incredible Thankful for the Services I Received During My DUI Case"
    I was incredible thankful for the services I received during my DUI case. Not only was Robert responsive, helpful and efficient, he was very respectful to my time and communicated with me constantly. I could always count on if I sent him something I would know what to expect by the next day. Chris maintained an exquisite level of professionalism and tack when dealing with my case. I never once felt like he was treating me as just another case and would recommend his services to anyone.
    "I Would Recommend Him to Anyone!"
    Robert attended all of my court dates and got everything in order for me to do a diversion. In addition, he was able to get my drivers license case dropped (the part I was really dreading). He provided me with good advice on what to do and all the steps needed to move forward. He was easy to get a hold of through the entire process and great to work with. I would recommend him to anyone!
    Happy Client
    "He Was Successful in Attaining That Goal!"
    Mr. Gigstad was very upfront and accessible to us and performed his duties with a positive outcome for all parties. We had a game plan going into this venture and he was successful in attaining that goal. He represented both myself and my son and was very fair on his fees.
    "Top Notch Job! Mr. Gigstad Did an Excellent Job"
    "Robert Quickly Found out What Actions I Could Pursue with the Moving Violation I Received"
    Robert quickly found out what actions I could pursue with the moving violation I received. He took care of everything for me, and all I had to was give him the paperwork. I highly recommend Robert for consultation as my moving violation was skillfully changed to a non-moving violation and kept off my record/insurance.

Contact Gigstad Law Office, LLC Today!

We’re Ready to Help

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Make The Right Call To The Right Attorney

Why We're Different
  • Exemplary Professionalism
    Proud members of top legal associations, including the ABA and National College for DUI Defense®, and Avvo-rated for professionalism. Rely on us for unwavering commitment to the highest standards in handling your case.
  • Justice Advocates
    Active participants in the Kansas Association for Justice and the NACDL, we are staunch advocates for justice. Expect a dedicated ally, committed to ensuring fair treatment within the legal system.
  • Results-Driven Approach
    Backed by The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100, we are motivated to achieve success, be it through negotiations or trial. Our firm is committed to delivering tangible results for your legal matters.
  • Rooted In Integrity
    Our firm, a member of the Kansas Bar Association, Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and Johnson County Bar Association, prioritizes your needs. Experience client-focused and principled legal representation.