Skip to Content

Overland Park Expungement Attorney

Attempting to Get a Conviction Cleared From Your Criminal Record?

When someone is convicted of a crime, that person not only has to deal with harsh penalties, but the individual also has to deal with that conviction being visible on his or her criminal record for years to come. Having a criminal record can have harmful effects on various areas of an individual's. For example, when a person with a previous arrest or conviction applies for jobs or for housing, background checks will show that the applicant has a criminal record. Many employers and landlords aren't willing to take chances on individuals with these kinds of records, even if there are reasonable explanations behind them.

In some cases, it is possible to get a previous arrest or conviction expunged, meaning the record is sealed and made unavailable in state and federal repositories. While the records will still be available in certain limited circumstances, the public will generally not be able to see that an arrest or conviction occurred once the expungement is completed. There are many factors that can determine whether or not a person can be eligible for this process. Since expungement can become very complex, it is very important that those trying to complete the process obtain legal counsel to assist them. At Gigstad Law Office, LLC, an Overland Park criminal defense attorney is ready to assist those who are trying remove arrests and convictions from their records.

How the Expungement Process Works

After a person petitions to have a criminal record expunged, he or she will receive a court date for a petition hearing. The prosecuting attorney and arresting law enforcement agency related to that person's case will be notified of the hearing, according to Kansas Statutes Annotated §12-4516 (2009). Individuals who have "relevant information about the petitioner" are allowed to testify at the hearing.

A petitioner can have his or her record expunged if the court finds the following:

  • The individual has not received a felony conviction over the previous two years and there are not similar proceedings presently pending.
  • The individual has demonstrated circumstances and behavior that warrant expungement.
  • The expungement will not place the public at risk.

Once the expungement is successfully granted, state and federal criminal justice agencies will be notified and it will be as if the arrest, conviction or diversion agreement never occurred. (A diversion agreement refers to agreed terms regarding diversion programs that are usually given to defendants in lieu of further criminal proceedings). There are certain circumstances, though, in which the defendant's previous criminal records are required to be disclosed. For example, a court will have access to the previous record for sentencing purposes if a new conviction occurs. Additionally, the petitioner will be required to disclose the arrest or conviction when applying for certain jobs, such as a detective for a private detective agency or security personnel for a private patrol operator. An attorney can also help individuals determine various other situations in which disclosures are required.

Expungement Timeframes

Kansas law provides some general guidelines for the expungement process, as defined under K.S.A. §12-4515 (a)-(c) (2009). Under the law, an individual can usually petition for the expungement of an arrest or conviction if three or more years have passed since the person either satisfied his or her sentence, or since the individual was discharged from probation, parole or a suspended sentence. Diversion agreements also have a similar timeframe—three years must have passed since the diversion agreement's terms were fulfilled, according to Kansas law.

There are certain crimes, however, that will require a longer waiting period of five years. These are just a few of the crimes that apply:

  • Vehicular manslaughter
  • Driving when one's privileges to operate a vehicle have been cancelled, suspended or revoked
  • Any felony crime in which a motor vehicle was used to commit the offense
  • Failure to stop and provide required duties after being involved in a car accident

Individuals whose crimes related to driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI) are required to wait 10 years before filing for expungement. Those who have received convictions or diversion agreements for the offense of driving a commercial motor vehicle while under the influence are not eligible for expungement.

Working with a Skilled Lawyer

If you want to learn about your options for getting a previous arrest or conviction expunged, do not hesitate to contact Gigstad Law Office, LLC. We can evaluate your case and help you determine whether you qualify for the process, as well as how to successfully achieve your goal. Having an attorney by your side can help you ensure that you are taking the correct steps and giving yourself the best chance of a successful expungement.

Call our office today so we can assist you!

  • What Our Clients Say
    Our clients share their stories about what happened and how we helped.
  • About Our Attorneys
    We're here to protect your legal rights and defend your future.
  • Our FAQ's
    You Are Probably Asking Yourself Some Questions


Client-Centered Legal Represntation
    "Always Responded Back in a Timely Manner"
    Did a great job. Always responded back in a timely manner and was able to handle all cases to our satisfaction. Thanks.
    "Mr. Gigstad Was Able to Help Calm Me down and Get Everything Worked out for Me with My DUI"
    I was freaked out when I came to him, but Mr. Gigstad was able to help calm me down and get everything worked out for me with my DUI. I hope I don't get in trouble and need him again, but I would gladly recommend his services.
    "Mr. Gigstad Has the Honor and Integrity That Much of the Judicial System Is Missing"
    Mr. Gigstad has the honor and integrity that much of the judicial system is missing. I would recommend him to anyone!
    Aaron H.
    "Robert Gigstad Was Extremely Helpful and Thorough in Handling My Case"
    I got an MIP and Fake ID charge in Lawrence and Robert Gigstad was extremely helpful and thorough in handling my case. He always got back to me in a timely manner and kept me informed throughout the whole process, I got diversion for both charges so they will not be on my permanent record.
    "Took Care of Everything for Me"
    Took care of everything for me... I just gave him the paperwork. Pretty legit
    "Robert Is Professional and Made the Writing of My Will Easy and Painless"
    Robert is professional and made the writing of my Will easy and painless. He is professional and competitive. I will gladly recommend Robert and his services!
    Brian P.
    "Top Notch Job! Mr. Gigstad Did an Excellent Job"
    "Great to work with!"
    Mr. Gigstad was upfront and professional about what I would be facing from the very beginning. He worked to help me understand the situation and found the best available outcome for me, considering. I would hope if I ever need legal representation again I would be in the hands of someone as professional and experienced as Mr. Gigstad.
    Former Client

Contact Gigstad Law Office, LLC Today!

We’re Ready to Help

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Make The Right Call To The Right Attorney

Why We're Different
  • Exemplary Professionalism
    Proud members of top legal associations, including the ABA and National College for DUI Defense®, and Avvo-rated for professionalism. Rely on us for unwavering commitment to the highest standards in handling your case.
  • Justice Advocates
    Active participants in the Kansas Association for Justice and the NACDL, we are staunch advocates for justice. Expect a dedicated ally, committed to ensuring fair treatment within the legal system.
  • Results-Driven Approach
    Backed by The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100, we are motivated to achieve success, be it through negotiations or trial. Our firm is committed to delivering tangible results for your legal matters.
  • Rooted In Integrity
    Our firm, a member of the Kansas Bar Association, Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and Johnson County Bar Association, prioritizes your needs. Experience client-focused and principled legal representation.