Frequently Asked Questions

Client-Centered Legal Representation

Criminal Defense Attorney in Overland Park

Frequently Asked Questions

The first thing you need to do when you freedom, your future and your reputation are on the line is to remember the very basic fact that you do have rights and you do not have to be intimidated. It is in your best interest to contact an Overland Park criminal defense lawyer right away to ensure that your rights are fully protected. At the Gigstad Law Office, LLC, we will not allow you to be intimidated and we stand ready to vigorously defend you against criminal charges. You do not have to face this battle alone; our firm may be able to help you. If you have been charged with a crime or if you are being investigated for a crime, you are probably asking yourself some of the following questions:

Q. If I am convicted, what kind of penalties am I facing?

A. That all depends on the crime as well as the circumstances of the crime you are being accused of. Misdemeanor crimes seldom result in significant jail time but you may be facing heavy fines as well as permanent criminal record . Tough judges can impose the maximum penalties, which can be up to a year in jail in some criminal cases. Felony convictions for crimes such as drug charges or domestic violence are very serious and you may be facing a lengthy prison sentence along with the possibility of fines and a long probation. A criminal record for a felony conviction can make it very difficult to get a job or even find a place to live. While juvenile crimes are often considered less serious, don't be fooled. A conviction for a juvenile crime can impact the rest of your life. Not only might you be facing incarceration, but college and career plans could be destroyed in a conviction.

Q. At what point do I need to hire an attorney?

A. If you have been charged with any crime, you need to hire a skilled and proven attorney from our firm as soon as you can. Timing is critical when it comes to the law and the criminal justice process. There are court imposed deadlines that must be followed for a number of issues and the sooner that you involve our firm, the sooner we can make sure that your rights are aggressively protected and the sooner we can develop a strategic defense.

Q. Do I have to allow the police to search my home or my car?

A. No, not unless the police have a search warrant. You do not have to consent to a search by the police in fact even if they threaten to hold you until they obtain a search warrant, it is rarely a good idea to consent to a search. If they do obtain a search warrant, our energetic and knowledgeable legal team will investigate how they obtained the warrant. If your rights were violated in any way we may be able to have any evidence found in the search thrown out.

Q. If I refuse to answer questions or give a statement about any crime, can I be charged as a result of my refusal?

A. As per the Fifth Amendment, you have the right to not say anything that might incriminate you. The police may try to convince you that not cooperating will lead to more severe consequences later, but they are not really concerned about your best interest s. On the other hand, our firm is totally committed to fighting for your rights and interests, and we will stand up to the police and fight for you. Even if they promise leniency, keep in mind that the police are allowed to lie when they are trying to get you to make incriminating statements. Law enforcement and the prosecution will do everything they can to build their case against you. The best way to make sure that your rights are fully protected is to have accomplished defense attorney from our firm by your side.

Q. If I am arrested, do the police have to read me my Miranda rights?

A. That depends on your specific case. Miranda rights must be read to you if any statement you make is to be used in the case being built against you. If the case against you is strong enough that no statement from you is necessary, the police do not have to read you your rights. In any event, it is advisable not to speak to anyone, including friends or family, until consulting our firm. In a serious criminal case, it is possible that your phones are being monitored.

Q. Can I talk to my friends and family about what happened?

A. No, it is not advisable. In general, anything you say to another person is not privileged meaning that it may possibly be used against you. Any communication with our firm is privileged and we will work with you to protect your rights and your future. With our firm, you can trust in integrity, commitment and results.

Contact an Overland Park criminal defense lawyerfrom our committed and resourceful firm right away for an aggressive defense against criminal charges.

Dedicated to Protecting Your Rights

When It Comes to Your Freedom, Results Matter

  • Dismissed before Trial. State of Kansas v. G.E.

    1st Time Drug DUI & Speeding. Dismissed before Trial.

  • City of Overland Park v. M.C.

    Possession of Marijuana - Dismissed


    Make the Right Call to the Right Attorney

    Tell Us About Your Case and We Will Give You a Free Consultation

    Why We're Different

    We are members of the American Bar Association, the National College for DUI DefenseĀ®, The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers, the Kansas Bar Association, Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Kansas Association for Justice, Johnson County Bar Association, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Additionally, we are Avvo rated for our professionalism and skill. With our firm by your side you can count on integrity and commitment to you and your case. We are driven to get results either in negotiations or at trial. If you would like to learn about your rights, call 888-387-2036 now.

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy